Parenthetical sources ought to be placed the place where a pause within the phrase would obviously happen but since near as you are able to after the appropriate concept or quote.
Integrating Text & Citations
The examples that are following just how to punctuate around quotations and citations. Keep in mind that in the event that you give you the writer’s title into the phrase, it’s not necessary to consist of it into the parentheses.
- When making use of an immediate quote in your sentence, utilize quotation marks across the words for the quote, but spot commas and periods following the citation — not inside the quote — regardless of whether there is certainly a comma or duration at the conclusion of this initial material:
- When you look at the full times whenever medical practioners “stressed atmosphere once the communicator of illness” (Tuchman 102), these people were unacquainted with other facets.
- In exposing the misconception of freedom for the press, Rivers notes that “presidential control reached its zenith under Andrew Jackson” (7).
- Miranda justifies her actions as “fair play” (Shakespeare, The Tempest 5.1.175).
- Concern or exclamation markings that come in the source that is original but, remain inside the quote markings:
- The greater question that is appropriate, “have we gone too much to reverse environmentally friendly damage due to careless deforestation?” (Jones 187).
- Lear protests, “O, explanation perhaps not the requirement!” (2.4.258) whenever Regan insists on eliminating her daddy’s advisors.